Spring is a popular season for many people, a great time for a holiday break, and for the flora enthusiasts, the perfect period to experience and enjoy the wild flower season throughout Australia.
It is not just the wetter regions of Australia that have beautiful floral display, contrary to some beliefs, the arid heart of Central Australia can also put on a beautiful spring wildflower show.
In the spring of 2010 the ‘Red Centre’ was one of the most perfect places to visit for the spring display of wildflowers. The unusual amount of rainfall from the beginning of the year was the trigger for an event that happens approximately once every 15 years. For those who missed this event, they will have to wait for another unusual rainfall period. Yet you can still see wildflowers in the region, with displays happening at certain times of the year as well as after out of season rainfall. A visit to our botanic gardens, parks and reserves, as well as a drive through the east and west MacDonnell Ranges, provide plenty of opportunities to see the flora of Central Australia.
For those driving to or through Central Australia, the landscape on either side of the highways and outback roads provide a glimpse of the natural beauty of the local landscape, with the opportunities to see flowering shrubs and trees, and swathes of plants in flower. Under the right conditions, visitors are greeted with the vistas of yellows, purples, blues, and much more.
Check out our images of some of the flora to be seen here in Central Australia…
this page is a continual work in progress…
To assist in identification, where we do not have a page under the Flora Index for a flora species, but information exists elsewhere on our website, we will include links to the information/images of the flora in the Flora Index. Many of these will be under botanic gardens, parks, reserves and national parks. You can also search for specific flora species.
- FLORA INDEX
- Annual Yellowtop (Senecio gregorii)
- Apple Bush (Pterocaulon sphacelatum)
- Australian Bluebell (Wahlenbergia gracilis)
- Billy Buttons (Genus Calocephalus)
- Blue Pincushion (Brunonia australis)
- Broad-Leaf Parakeelya (Calandrinia balonensis)
- Bush Tomato / Bush Raisin (Solanum centrale)
- Buttercup Pigweed (Portulaca intraterranea)
- Cattle Bush (Trichodesma zeylanicum)
- Field Lily (Crinum angustifolium) – Alice Springs Desert Park
- Georges Indigo (Indigofera georgei)
- Golden Everlasting (Xerochrysum bracteatum)
- Green Bird Flower (Crotalaria cunninghamii)
- Hairy Mulla Mulla (Ptilotus helipteroides)
- Minnie Daisy (Minuria leptophylla)
- Orange Spade Flower (Hybanthus aurantiacus)
- Parakeelyas (Calandrinia)
- Parrot Pea (Crotalaria cunninghamii) – Alice Springs Desert Park
- Pink Everlasting (Schoenia cassiniana)
- Pink Rock-wort (Sedopsis filsonii)
- Poached Egg Daisy (Polycalymma stuartii)
- Resurrection Fern (Cheilanthes lasiophylla)
- Sandover Lily (Crinum flaccidum) – Alice Springs Desert Park
- Spike Centaury (Schenkia australis)
- Spreading Goodenia (Goodenia heteromera)
- Striped Mintbush (Prostanthera striatiflora)
- Sturt’s Desert Pea (Swainsona formosa)
- Sturt’s Desert Rose (Gossypium sturtianum) – (Image featured at top)
- Upside-down Plant (Leptosema chambersii)
- White Paper Daisy (Rhodanthe floribunda)
- Wild Passionfruit (Capparis spinosa var. nummularia)
- Woolly-Headed Burr Daisy (Calotis plumulifera)
Check out our floral display of wildflowers on shrubs and trees.
All images © Ausemade PL
FloraFlora Index Acacia Annual Yellowtop Apple Bush (Pterocaulon sphacelatum) Australian Bluebell Banksia Batswing Coral Tree Billy Buttons Birdsville Indigo Blue Pincushion Bush Banana Cape Honeysuckle Cassia fistula (Golden Shower) Cattle Bush Common Heath Desert Oaks Drumsticks Eremophila Eucalyptus False Shaggy Mane Ficus Georges Indigo Goatshead Burr (Sclerolaena bicornis) Golden Everlasting Goodenia Grass and Grasses Grass Tree Green Bird Flower Grevillea Hakea MacDonnell Ranges Cycad Maireana scleroptera Mexican Poppy Minnie Daisy Mistletoe Family Mountain Devil Nardoo Native Apricot Orange Spade Flower Parakeelyas (Calandrinia) Pink Everlasting Pink Rock Wort Poached Egg Daisy Portulaca Ptilotus Quandong Resurrection Fern Rosy Dock Ruby Saltbush Solanum Spike Centaury Spinifex Storkbill (Erodum cygnorum) Striped Mint Bush Sturt’s Desert Pea Sturt’s Desert Rose Tall Saltbush Tar Vine Tribulus eichlerianus Upside-down Plant Urodon dasyphylla Variable Daisy Waratah White Paper Daisy Wild Passionfruit Woolly-Headed Burr Daisy