Alice Springs / Central Australia ~ Snapshots from the Northern Territory
Central Australia provides a great destination for the bird watcher. Often you get to see birds of different species together in the same shrubs and trees, as well as sharing water and food.
Many bird lovers make it a point to travel to Alice Springs for the Red Centre Bird Festival in early September, although of course visitors to the region can see our feathered creatures all year round.
We hope you enjoy the following selection of images are of different species of birds together. Also check out our selection of images in Snapshots: Birds of a Feather.
Many thanks to those who have contributed to this section and especially to our resident photographer Dorothy L.
We hope you enjoy these birds and check back, as we add more images..
Following are links to more information on the individual birds pictured here.
- Australian Pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus)
- Black-faced Woodswallow (Artamus cinereus)
- Black Swan (Cygnus atratus)
- Brown Songlark (Cincloramphus cruralis)
- Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus)
- Crested Pigeon (Ocyphaps lophotes)
- Crimson Chat (Epthianura tricolor)
- Diamond Dove (Geopelia cuneata)
- Masked Woodswallow (Artamus personatus)
- Painted Finch (Emblema pictum)
- Sacred Kingfisher (Todiramphus sanctus)
- White-plumed Honeyeaters (Ptilotula penicillata)
- Willie Wagtail (Rhipidura leucophrys)
- Zebra Finch (Taeniopygia guttata)
Footnote & References
- Tracks Birding & Photography Tours, Guide to finding Birds around Alice Springs, NT, http://www.tracksbirding.com.au/alicesprings/
- Bird watching around Alice Springs, Northern Territory Tourism NT | Northern Territory Government, https://northernterritory.com/alice-springs-and-surrounds/see-and-do/nature-and-wildlife/bird-watching
- Chris Watson, Blogs about birds birding birdwatching birders and wildlife in Australia and around the world, https://www.chriswatson.com.au/
- Santa Teresa Road, Alice Springs Field Naturalists Club, http://alicefieldnaturalists.org.au/Santa_Teresa_Road.html
- Birdata, collaboratively and scientifically collect data to gain insight and protect Australia’s birds. Download app to record your bird sightings on the go. Now operating under BirdLife Australia through the Birdata web portal. https://birdata.birdlife.org.au/
- Birds Australia Atlas 2 – Northern Territory, http://birds.rhyme.com.au/
- Guide to Finding Birds Around Alice Springs, Laurie Ross, http://laurieross.com.au/alicesprings/
- Alice Springs – After the Rains, 11 May 2016, Tim Dolby’s Birding Tours, https://timothydolby.com/2016/05/11/alice-springs-after-the-rains/
- Northern Territory – MacDonnell Ranges, Avibase – Bird Checklists of the World, https://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=AUnoib47
- Bellbird Birding Tours, https://www.bellbirdtours.com/
- Ausemade, Bird Watching in Alice Springs and Central Australia
- Ausemade, Snapshot: Birds of a Feather
Snapshots from the Northern TerritorySnapshots: Alice Springs Beanie Festival Snapshots: Alice Springs Desert Park Snapshots: The Art of Alice Springs Snapshots: Art in the Botanic Garden Snapshots: Birds of a Feather Snapshots: Birds of a feather flock together Snapshots: Ilparpa Claypans Snapshots: Olive Pink Botanic Garden