The Yellow Hairy Flower Wasp (Radumeris radula) is native to Australia and Paupua New Guinea, although there have been sightings in New Zealand (specifically of the species Radumeris tasmaniensis).
Like other Scoliid wasps, the females have short antennae, whilst the male of the species have longer antennae. The female of the species are larger then the male. Both male and female Radumeris radula have orange to brownish wings, with very fine veins towards the wing tips.
They are larval parasites, the size of the wasps appear to depend on the size of the host larva.
Sometimes Radumeris radula is confused with Radumeris tasmaniensis, and whilst tasmaniensis is found mainly in the south of the country and radula in the north, the easiest way to distinguish them is from the colour of the setae on the top of the thorax of the female wasp. In Radumeris radula it is a uniform rusty red-brown in colour, whilst in Radumeris tasmaniensis it is yellowish in colour.
- Scientific classification
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Subphylum: Hexapoda
- Class: Insecta
- Order: Hymenoptera
- Superfamily: Vespoidea
- Family: Scoliidae
- Genus: Radumeris
- Species: R. radula
- Binomial name: Radumeris radula
Footnote & References
- Radumeris radula, iNaturalist, http://portugal.inaturalist.org/taxa/486986-Radumeris-radula
- Radumeris tasmaniensis, iNaturalist NZ, https://inaturalist.nz/taxa/396245-Radumeris-tasmaniensis / https://inaturalist.nz/taxa/396245-Radumeris-tasmaniensis/browse_photos
- Yellow Hairy Flower Wasp, Ellura – Ants, Bees, Flies & Wasps, http://www.ellura.info/Insect/Wasp/DSC04885RF-Yellow-Hairy-Flower-Wasp-Radumeris-tasmaniensis.html
- Radumeris radula (Fabricius, 1775), Atlas of Living Australia, https://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid:biodiversity.org.au:afd.taxon:8c26db14-0a2d-40fb-b3eb-d9d8e4f2fbbd
WaspsAustralian Mud Nest Wasps Bembicinae Bembix Eumeninae Mud Wasp Orange-collared Spider Wasp Potter Wasp Pseudabispa bicolor ssp. nigrocinctoides Yellow and Black Wasp Yellow Hairy Flower Wasp Yellow Hairy Flower Wasp – R tasmaniensis