The Telegraph Station was one of twelve repeater stations constructed along the
‘Overland Telegraph Line’ in the early 1870s to relay messages between Darwin
and Adelaide and is the best preserved station along the ‘Overland Telegraph
The completion of the line herald a new era for fast direct communication
between Britain and her then independent Australian colonies.
Operating for 60 years, and then serving as a school for Aboriginal children,
visitors today can view many of the restored stone buildings, including internal
furnishing from the period 1895-1905. The Post and Telegraph Office continue to
operate, but only on occasions of special historical significance.
The reserve includes a shaded lawns area with picnic and free electric barbeque facilities.
There are also public amenities. There is a small kiosk with souvenirs and cold
Located 4 km north of Alice Springs along Herbert Heritage Drive, off the Stuart
Highway, the reserve is accessible to vehicles and coaches.
There is also a walking and cycling track into the Reserve from the Stuart
Highway via Schwartz Crescent, and another track along the west bank of the Todd
River, known as the ‘Riverside Walk’.
Source: NRETA -
Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
Check out our range of listed
Springs accommodation and
Central Australia accommodation.
In addition to our listed online travel guide information, contact the local
tourism visitor centre for your destination for more attractions, tours, local
maps and other information.