Cicada | Desert Screamer (Burbunga hillieri) ◦
The Desert Screamer (Burbunga hillieri) are found throughout inland Australia, from western Queensland, New South Wales, north-western Victoria, north-eastern South Australia, southern Northern Territory and central Western Australia through to the coastline.
The following images of the Burbunga hillieri were on the Acacia Aneura Mulga.
The following cicada nymph shell case was located where the Burbunga hillieri had emerged.
Following is audio of the sounds of the Burbunga hillieri cicadas.
- Scientific classification
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Insecta
- Order: Hemiptera
- Superfamily: Cicadoidea
- Family: Cicadidae
- Subfamily: Cicadinae
- Tribe: Burbungini
- Genus: Burbunga
- Species: B. hillieri
- Binomial name: Burbunga hillieri
Footnote & References
- Desert Screamer, Burbunga hillieri (Distant, 1907), The cicadas of Australia, by L. W. Popple, https://dr-pop.net/hillieri-032.htm
- Cicadarama (Facebook page), thanks for help with the ID, https://www.facebook.com/cicadarama/
- iNaturalistAU, thanks to the members for help with the ID, https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/taxa/715338-Burbunga-hillieri