Once classified as a Rainbow Lorikeet, the Red-collared Lorikeet (Trichoglossus rubritorquis) has been recognised as one of 6 different species, including Rainbow Lorikeet, Coconut Lorikeet, Scarlet-breasted Lorikeet, Marigold Lorikeet, Flores Lorikeet and of course the Red-collared Lorikeet.
The largest of the lorikeets, the Red-collared Lorikeet is very similar to the Rainbow Lorikeet, except for two visual differences, its red collar (compared to the yellow collar of the Rainbow Lorikeet) and the black belly instead of a blue one.
The head of the Red-collared Lorikeet is scalloped blue, whilst the nape (collar) of the neck is red and scalloped red-and-black. The breast is an orange-red. The belly is black, while the vent is scalloped green and yellow and the undertail is yellow to green-grey. The back is green, the underwings have red coverts with a black-yellow-black stripe pattern on the flight feathers. Their bill is reddish, the irises are orange and the legs and feet are grey to dark-grey. The juveniles are duller in colour to the adults and they have a brownish bill.
Omnivores, the Red-collared Lorikeet feed on nectar, pollen, fruits and seeds, although they will also eat small insects. One of the main predators for the lorikeet is the Peregrine Falcon.
Often seen feeding in large groups, they seeking refuge in tree foliage during the hottest part of the day. They are found in a wide range of habitats including woodlands and swamps regions, as well as suburban areas of northern Australia.
- Scientific classification
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Aves
- Order: Psittaciformes
- Family: Psittaculidae
- Genus: Trichoglossus
- Species: T. rubritorquis
- Binomial name: Trichoglossus rubritorquis
- Trichoglossus rubritorquatus
- Trichoglossus rubritorques
Footnote & References
- Red-collared Lorikeet, mdahlem.net, https://mdahlem.net/birds/12/redclori.php
- Rainbow lorikeet split into six different species after bird experts reach consensus, by Ben Collins, ABC Kimberley, Thu 19 Dec 2019, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-19/rainbow-lorikeet-species-split-into-six/11806318
- Red-collared lorikeet, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-collared_lorikeet (last visited Sept. 20, 2021).