Approximately 980 km north east of Perth, “Laverton” is one of
Western Australia’s outback towns, still growing from its founding
in 1898, and named after Dr Charles William Laver. Part of the
“northern goldfields” area, it offers an insight of it’s mining
heritage, where old mine shafts can be found scattered throughout
the area. Access is via Leonora about 100 km to the west.
Gold was discovered in the area in 1896 which saw many prospectors and miners
move into the area. Among them was Dr Charles W. Laver. One of the most
successful mines was Craiggiemore, and by 1897 a residential and business
area had sprung up on the west side of the mine known as ‘British Flag’.