as in Mariah Carey,
The first European to sight Maria Island was Abel Tasman in December
1642. It was Tasman who, having named the main island after Anthony Van
Diemen, the Governor-in-Chief of the Dutch East India Company in
Batavia, named this island, Maria, after the Governor-in-Chief’s wife.
Maria Island was Tasmania’s second penal settlement and later became a
convict probation station, grazing property, the site for vineyards, and
a cement works.
With an area of 11,550 ha, this wild, rugged island is over 20 km
long and 13 km wide, and comprising two halves that are linked by
a sandy isthmus. With great mountain views (Mount Maria rises to 710 m
and ‘the Bishop and Clerk’ reaches 915 m), sweeping bays, rugged cliffs
that tumbling into the sea, jagged rocky outcrops, and beaches.