was in 1830 when Captain Charles Sturt and his companions travelled down the
river in whale boat on a mission to see where the river flowed. They were to
discover a large river known as Moorundie to the local Aboriginals. This river,
named by Captain Charles Sturt, was the River Murray. They were to follow the
river to it’s mouth.
On the 8th February, 1830, the
party camped at what is called Sturt Reserve. On reaching the mouth of the
river, they were disappointed to see that it would be too difficult for ships to
navigate because of the sandbars and the unpredictable Southern Ocean. Retracing
their steps, Captain Sturt was to recommend the Murray Valley as ideal for
Built by William Randell at Noa-no, the Mary Ann was the first
paddle steamer to sail on the Murray River, steaming past Murray Bridge in March
1853. Within 10 years, there were 30 steamers and by 1880 this was to grow to
100 steamers and 200 barges engaging in trade on the Murray, Murrumbidgee and
The first person to buy property was George Edwards. Located
north of the two bridges, near what is known today as Hume Reserve, he named it Coninka.
Stock swam across the river near the home, and the place came to be known as
“Edward’s Crossing”. Another name was that of “Turn-Off”, because drovers would
divert from the north towards Adelaide, cross the river or follow the river
south. However, as more people came to live in the area, the settlement became
known as Mobilong.
It was when the first bridge was built over the Murray
River during 1873-1879 that the town became known as Murray Bridge, but it
wasn’t until 1924 before the name became official. The building of the bridge
saw rapid development of the town.
Murray Bridge Visitor
Check out our listing of
Bridge accommodation. In addition to our listed online travel guide
information, contact the local tourism visitor centre for your destination for
more attractions, tours, local maps and other information.