Located on the Southern Eyre Peninsula, Tumby Bay was first explored in 1802
by Matthew Flinders, who named the bay and a nearby island after the village of
Tumby in Lincolnshire, England.
When settlers moved into the area during the
1840s, the area was known as 'Harvey Bay', after one of the early settlers.
When the town was first surveyed in 1900, it was named 'Tumby', but the local
residents added the word Bay to the name, and the town officially became known as
Bay' in April, 1984.
Today, the coastal township of Tumby Bay, situated on the Spencer Gulf, is the main service centre for the
surrounding agricultural farming district and communities. It is also a popular
tourist destination, renowned for the fishing, whether it is by jetty, boat,
charter, beach or rock fishing.