The government bore at Coward Springs is 400 feet deep. The rush of
water is so strong it shoots nearly 15 feet into the air, falling in a
shower of spray and forming a most exquisite fountain... The supply is
unending and never varies... A large pool of water, quite 40 feet long, lies
at the foot of the fountain and the overflow fills a drain about six feet
wide with a depth ranging from six inches to one foot. The inhabitants of
Coward are justly proud of their beautiful fountain and talk
enthusiastically of the delights of bathing under it in the summer...
The spring and the hotel are described in the Observer, 27 March 1897, page 33d
Aboriginal name is Pitha Kalti-kalti 3 (after
the crooked box tree which once stood at the site). The springs were a resting
spot for the Urumbula people as they travelled north for trade.
The Old Ghan Railway reached Coward Springs in 1888, the siding was once the
most western point on the line. Now listed with the South Australian Heritage
Register in 1998, the only two buildings remaining, and now restored are the
Station Masters House and the Engine Driver Cabin.
Known as Coward
Springs Campground and Heritage Area, Coward Springs today is privately
owned and managed. With a permanent wetland, providing an oasis for wildlife,
the 'natural spa', a self-guided heritage walk, and of course campground
In addition to our listed online travel guide information, contact the local
tourism visitor centre for your destination for more attractions, tours, local
maps and other information.