Located on the edge of nowhere, this
wonderfully preserved copper mining town is a must see for
those interested in the early days of South Australia’s
heritage. Located in the Bald Hills Ranges, 156 north east of
Adelaide, Burra is listed on the National Estate Register
and also the South Australian State Heritage Area in 1993.
Copper was first discovered here in 1846 by two shepherds
Thomas Pickett and William Streair. Several villages soon
sprung up with different flavours of settlers. For instance
Hampton (English), Aberdeen (Scottish), Redruth (Cornish),
and Llywchwr (Welsh). The towns merged and became what is
now known as Burra. Nobody seems to know how the town got
its name it just came about.