Located on the alluvial Hawkesbury River flats within the City of Hawkesbury LGA,
and east of neighbouring
Richmond, Windsor straddles two popular regions being one of Sydneys outer
western suburbs and also part of the
Hawkesbury Valley region.
from Richmond and the start of the Bells Line
of Road that winds its way up through the foothills of the magnificent
Windsor is one of the earliest European settled towns in Australia, with many
historic buildings and landmarks still evident today.
It was in November, 1810 that Governor Macquarie set out to inspect the
region in what is the western Sydney districts. Travelling with Mrs Macquarie
and a group of aides and surveyors, the tour of inspection followed along the
Hawkesbury and Nepean Rivers, resulting in five settlements being surveyed,
designated and named what is known collectively as the Macquarie Towns
Windsor, Richmond, Castlereagh, Pitt Town and Wilberforce.1