Just over 40 km from the heart of Sydney CBD, Kellyville is located within The
Hills Shire, part of the popular Hills District.
With the first land grants being in 1802, Kellyville had a number of names,
originally known as There and Nowhere, followed by Irish Town, due to the
large number of Irish people living there.
When convict Hugh Kelly arrived in May 1803, he married his older widowed
mistress Mary Evans and established a licensed inn The Half Way House which
became The Bird in the Hand (located on the corner of Wrights and Windsor
Roads). In the 1880s, John Fitzgerald Burns, James Green and George Withers
purchased portions of several early land grants which were subdivided into
farmlets as part of the Kellyville Estate, from which the suburb derives its
name. These plots of land were sold between 1888 and 1904.